Re: Org and Hyperbole

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Org and Hyperbole
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:17:20 -0700

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> David Masterson writes:
>
>> I haven't touched Hyperbole in ...decades...?  Even then, it was
>> complicated and full-featured (but I still keep it in my .emacs file).
>> My discussions with Bob Weiner were interesting at the time and I really
>> wanted to make use of it.
>>
>> As you've discovered, it integrates a lot of what Org has in, perhaps, a
>> tighter fashion (which makes it more complicated, but the pain might be
>> useful). The Smart Keys and Buttons are very similar to Org.  The
>> outliner (KOutline) is more powerful than Org, but not integrated with
>> export capabilities to other formats (I think there is a way of
>> exporting an outline to Org).  Something that Org does not have is
>> browsing capabilities for Object Oriented languages.  This is an add-on
>> (for C++ ?) in Hyperbole (search for OO-Browser).  Since I retired, I
>> don't do much programming, so Org's project management has been more
>> interesting to me.
>>
>> It's nice to see that it's actually still being developed by Bob.
>
> Thanks for all the interesting facts about hyperbole. I hadn't looked at
> the package source code info yet, and didn't know that this is all the
> work of one person. I also thought hyperbole was more recent...
>
> It certainly has some interesting stuff. In what way is KOutline more
> powerful than Org? Do you think there is any useful feature of KOutline
> that could be incorporated into Org?

KOutline has a much larger set of commands for working with outlines.
However, that's an example of complexity in that it's a lot to keep in
your head.  The permanent (hidden) ids make it possible to build (say) a
personal Wiki of information where rearranging the outline doesn't mess
up the links.

> So far I've been able to find a couple of practical uses for this
> package in my workflow. The whole window control system is very
> powerful, although it would have been better if it had been a single
> separate package, IMHO.

I tended to look at EXWM, but didn't get too far. I may look at
Hycontrol again...

> Implicit links have a lot of potential. For example, I've managed to
> define some buttons for LaTeX, which recognize LaTeX commands and
> environments and lead to the local TeX live documentation or
> tex.stackexchange.org. It's like giving a LaTeX document a sort of hover
> help. This could also be done in Org, by defining some patterns as
> implicit buttons to lead to Org info pages.

Have you looked at Hydra?  But Hyperbole's implicit links are better.

--
David Masterson