org-capture and fast selection of tags

From: Christian Heinrich
Subject: org-capture and fast selection of tags
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:32:07 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up an org-capture template that presents me with the fast
selection window for
tags instead of just the prompt one gets when using org-capture's %^g / %^G
placeholders. I often
have project related tags that I need to apply to many but not all tasks, so
this would help me a
lot.

I have my tags defined through #+TAGS in my org file.

I first thought that using %(org-set-tags-command) should work; but the
capture-buffer is narrowed
(i.e., no tags are available), so I used (setq
org-complete-tags-always-offer-all-agenda-tags t) to
make my tags available there as well. They are available now, but the fast
selection is not used, as
org-use-fast-tag-selection is set to 'auto'. When I set it explicitly to t, the
fast selection is
shown but because of org-complete-tags-always-offer-all-agenda-tags, I have way
too many options to
choose from. I only want the tags defined through #+TAGS to be offered through
fast selection.

How can I achieve that? Is there a way to also make only the tags defined in
the target file
available?

Thanks for any help!

Best regards