org-cite: only last names and et al. for more than two coauthors

From: M. Pger
Subject: org-cite: only last names and et al. for more than two coauthors
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 05:12:30 +0000

Hi,

I've recently tried to switch to org-cite, but I still have some problems with the basics.

Consider the following entry:

@article{akey2022,
  title = {This is the title},
  shorttitle = {This is the short title},
  author = {Surname1, Name1 and Surname2, Name2 and Surname3, Name3},
  year = {2022},
  (truncated)
}

I want to have something like: "as shown by Surname1 et al. (2022), ...", i.e. something one can get with natbib \citet command. With org-ref it worked like a charm.

I've tried the syntax presented in https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-07-31-citations.html#more-exporting, that is:
[cite/t/c:@akey2022]
but I ended with a 'wrong type argument' error.

I then tried [cite/t:@akey2022]: exporting succeeds. However, I end up with "as shown by Surname1, Name1 and Surname2, Name2 and Surname3, Name3 (2022), ...".

How can I correctly specify the options mentioned above? Is there a complete and updated tutorial available somewhere?

Thanks  in advance.

Best,

Max