Re: Getting rid of org-install.el

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Getting rid of org-install.el
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 23:18:06 -0400

Stefan Kangas writes:

> org-install.el has been obsolete for more than 10 years.
>
> To finally get rid of this file, I put it to you that all we need to do is:
>
> 1. Move it in emacs.git from lisp/org/org-install.el to
> lisp/obsolete/org-install.el
> 2. Delete the file from org-mode.git

In my view it'd be better to drop the first item.  Org has removed
plenty of obsolete features in its time, but searching the emacs.git
history, I can't find a case where an Org-related file has been in
lisp/obsolete/.  I'd vote against setting that precedent, as I don't
want to introduce any more discrepancies between the Org files in
org-mode.git and emacs.git than necessary.