Re: Serving .org files for worg (was: Re: Library of babel help)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Serving .org files for worg (was: Re: Library of babel help)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:42:18 +0700

On 01/07/2022 04:48, Tim Cross wrote:

1. Just using the .org as the suffix of the url instead of the .html did
not work for me using two different browser. However, it did work for
ihor, so either I did something wrong or there is something in my setup
which is preventing that from working. Need to investigate further.
However, that is not my main issue.

I do not think that a chance of such event is noticeable, but you may observe different behavior because you tried to access different files. More likely you get files saved to Downloads.

Tim, likely you can not work with browsers unless significant customization is applied. Generally it is better to have virtual machines with popular environments and as little modifications as possible. Unfortunately just now I am preparing to move my VMs to another disk, so I would prefer to postpone setting up another instance suitable for such purpose.

My main issue is that having to know you can change the suffix from
.html to .org in order to get the source is insufficient. It won't be
obvious to many users and will only make some sense to experienced org
users. I think the link should be obvious and I think the server
configuration should be set so that accessing the .org url gives a
sensible result (i.e. prefer opening it as plain text to offering to
download).

I do not mind to have explicit link to .org file. It may be placed to the header section with table of contents and the donation link. Such link may be like https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/worg/tree/master/item/org-artwork.org (I have no idea if it may add noticeable load to Drew DeVault's servers). However SourceHut does not highlight org sources currently. On the other hand it does not try to render them formatted, so sources are visible. Another problem is long lines. Unfortunately they are not wrapped and the following causes discrepancy with line numbers, so I can not suggest a fix:

/* main.min.112ca73b.css | https://git.sr.ht/static/main.min.112ca73b.css */

.code-view .highlight pre {
  white-space: pre-wrap;
}

The initial aim is to make the site consistent and the build process
server independent. Ideally, anyone will be able to clone the repo, set
a document root and run the build process to create a fully working
local worg site. Little in this first stage is terribly contentious.

I am afraid, to run local instance of worg, it would be necessary to explicitly specify MIME type for .org files otherwise they may be attributed to Lotus.