Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 23:39:53 -0400

  > I don't see this discussion leading to anything if it is only about
  > personal preferences and views.

It's about the GNU Project's moral stand (nonfree software is an
injustice, and encouraging people to use it is wrong), and what
follows from that.

It's also about the GNU project policy of not steering the public to
run nonfree-software.  You can find that in the GNU Coding Standards,
node References.

People asked questions such as "What would you do?" so I answered
them.

  > More seriously, it is peculiar that you do not see anything problematic in
  > promoting businesses of entities who rely on non-free software for their
  > business.

To see that as problematic would be a rather extreme position.
Do you hold that position?  Do you know anyone who does?
Do you know anyone that boycotts or rebukes businesses
for running non-free software internally?  I don't.

The GNU Project takes a less extreme position: if a business asks
customers to use nonfree software to communicate with the business, we
advise people to refuse to use that software.

Sometimes it's possible to do business with that company
and avoid the nonfree software.  Sometimes it's not.

As this example shows, there are various different kinds of
scenarios involving businesses and nonfree software.  The GNU Project
makes these distinctions and treats them differently.