Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Gith

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Links to javascript-based websites from orgmode.org: Paypal and Github
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 20:38:45 +0800

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> In this entire 40+ message thread, only two options have been listed (besides
> the FSF’s special arrangement) which do not direct people to non-free JS:
> Cryptocurrancy
>       Which is volatile in value, regional regulation, and
>       individual distaste.
> Cheques
>       Which are a dying (and in some places dead) form of bank transfer
>       instruction. It’s already been established that Ihor would face a
> US$200 fee
>       when collecting a cheque, and over where I am the central bank
> announced in
>       2019 that at a point in the near future the “it will be appropriate to
> wind up
>       the cheque system”. Last year a neighbouring country stopped offering or
>       receiving cheques altogether.

You did not list direct bank transfers.
They should be doable given that a person looking to donate contuct us
via email to obtain transfer info. Though I am not 100% sure how it
holds from the point of view of privacy and suceptibility to scam.

> I think it’s fair to say these are not viable options, leaving accepting
> donations via Liberapay, Stripe, etc. as the only practical options. Until
> then,
> let’s not allow perfect to be the enemy of good.
>
> As it happens though, Stripe seem to have open sourced all of their frontend
> code — all of these repos <https://github.com/stripe> seem to be MIT-licensed.
> Perhaps we just need to get this to be compatible with liberajs?

If Stripe is licensed under GNU-compatible license, it is great news and
the whole problem appears to be solved. There is no requirement that
every appropriately licensed JS code is also correctly recognized
by liberajs.

> So, to sum up the situation I’d suggest we pick from the following options:
> ⁃ Accept the situation isn’t great
> ⁃ Build/fund a new tool
> ⁃ Convince an existing tool to be more libera-friendly
> ⁃ Use the FSF as an intermediary
>
> Asking maintainers not to accept donations (or making it prohibitively
> difficult) is not a solution.

I support this statement.

Best,
Ihor