Re: org-capture and fast selection of tags

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-capture and fast selection of tags
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 17:12:47 +0800

> I looked at the code and came up with a patch that works for me (see below).
> However, this may
> change behavior for others:

Thanks!

> 1. The original %^g will work on non-headlines, but if (org-set-tags-command)
> is called as I do,
> this is no longer possible and would need to be checked (what would be a good
> way here?)
>
> 2. Can I really deduce from (org-use-fast-tag-selection) being non-nil that
> fast selection should be
> used in capture templates as well? Does it actually make sense to incorporate
> this into %^g/G?
>
> I am neither a lisp programmer nor acquainted with the org codebase; this is
> a draft I came up
> with. If you can provide me with further feedback, I'm willing to make this
> more stable.

The idea is reasonable, but using org-set-tags-command is not ideal
indeed. Instead, you can take the relevant part of org-set-tags-command
(it is all but last line of the "t" cond clause) and put it into a
separate auxiliary function. Then, you can simply call that function
inside the org-set-tags-command and inside the capture template code.

Best,
Ihor