Org for developing LaTeX packages

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Org for developing LaTeX packages
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 14:33:36 +0000

Hi all,

I am writing a package for LuaLaTeX and have decided to use Org for it.
The reasons: org is more powerful, more versatile and more cool than the
'official' LaTeX literate programming utility, docstrip.

Searching for information on this list I found this post from Marcin
Borkowski, from 2013, where he comments on very interesting things
regarding these topic:

https://list.orgmode.org/20130311230246.4c629e36@aga-netbook/

Out of curiosity, I wonder if Marcin or someone else finally got around
to implementing something concrete for this. I think some kind of
extension to org-babel-tangle that would generate the typical docstrip
.dtx and .ins files might be nice. Perhaps this would open up the use of
Org to LaTeX package developers, though admittedly docstrip is deeply
rooted in planet LaTeX and hardly anything else is used.

When I release my package I'll write a makefile, in the style of the
wallcalendar package, which is also written in Org:

https://github.com/profound-labs/wallcalendar/blob/master/Makefile

BTW, Wallcalendar is the only LaTeX package I know of (besides mine,
still work in progress) that is written in Org and not in docstrip. I
don't know if there are any more...

Best regards,

Juan Manuel