Re: [BUG] Future repeated tasks marked done in Org Agenda don't show as

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: [BUG] Future repeated tasks marked done in Org Agenda don't show as done [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5/)]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 07:30:03 -0300

Hi Ihor,

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 at 14:28, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:

I feel that you are overcomplicating things a bit.

Well, the most important objective of the analysis was to try to figure out if the `todayp' condition was too strict or not. Since your suggested fix implies removing it as well, I take I have you convinced? ;)

What if we simply change all the agenda lines if and only if their date in agenda is earlier or equal to the next scheduled time (after repeater
is triggered)?

I think this is a good condition, better than the one I had devised (considering the span of the agenda and the repetition frequency). As far as I can tell, it will also require parsing the planning info of the entry and consider the relevant cases, but perhaps you are seeing more than I can. And I presume you refer only to repeating tasks, so that the rest of the current conditional (except `todayp') would remain in place. The only case I can think of which might trip a little this condition is a date range, but "date range with repeater" seems corner enough for us not to sweat much over it.

One thing to consider is the timing of things and how it affects the conditional. You said "earlier or equal to the next scheduled time (after repeater is triggered)". We are looking at things in `org-agenda-todo' after `org-todo' has done its job, in other words, after the repeater has "stepped". `org-agenda-headline-snapshot-before-repeat' is stored in `org-todo' because there would be no longer any way to retrieve it at this point, but we don't store anything else, as far as I can tell. So, at this point, the current scheduled (dedlined, etc.) time would be "the next/first instance which is *not* done", and hence wouldn't it be "earlier, but not equal, to the next scheduled time"?

Another thing for which you might have something in mind, but I don't see how to handle it is that `org-agenda-change-all-lines' can receive the `just-this' argument and that decides whether just the current line gets changed or if all entries with the same marker are looped over. So it's either "this" or "all". Perhaps the version of the conditional you suggested will require change in `org-agenda-change-all-lines' so that it can change "some, according to a given predicate".

In sum, all in all, the conditional you suggested sounds very good to me, and a clear improvement relative to the current state of things. And regardless of anything else, it seems we agree that `todayp' is too strict and removing it would be the low hanging fruit in all this.

Best,
Gustavo.