numbering src blocks in HTML export

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: numbering src blocks in HTML export
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 15:00:16 +0000

Hello,

a quick and hopefully easy question: how do I get lines in src blocks
numbered in HTML export?  I have looked at the code and the first thing
I did was set org-html-wrap-src-lines to t.  This wraps each line in
"<code>...</code>".

I know how to use CSS to add line numbers to lines with these tags but,
looking at the export code, I see it uses the following function:

,----[ C-h f org-export-get-loc RET ]
| org-export-get-loc is a native compiled Lisp function in ‘ox.el’.
|
| (org-export-get-loc ELEMENT INFO)
|
| Return count of lines of code before ELEMENT.
|
| ELEMENT is an example-block or src-block element.  INFO is the
| plist used as a communication channel.
|
| Count includes every line of code in example-block or src-block
| with a "+n" or "-n" switch before block.  Return nil if
| ELEMENT doesn’t allow line numbering.

`----

I really do not understand the last paragraph although it implies that
org already supports adding the line numbers.  My elisp-fu is not up to
scratch to figure this out from the code unfortunately.  Would somebody
explain what to do?  Or should I simply add the CSS code that would do
it for me?

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.4-643-g057df6 in Emacs 29.0.50