Re: [feature] Allow "," decimal point in table cells

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [feature] Allow "," decimal point in table cells
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 07:56:26 +0200

>>> "IR" == Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>>
>>> Org tables use Emacs' calc under the hood by default.
>>> AFAIK, calc is unable to use "," as decimal point because it is reserved
>>> as a vector separator. Which is why you got the vector addition in your
>>> example.
>>
>> Thanks. I was afraid that the issue was with calc not with org-mode.

> Note that you can instead use Elisp formulas. See 3.5.3 Emacs Lisp forms
> as formulas. It is more flexible.

Can you give me an example?

> Alternatively, we may implement the comma separators as a built-in
> feature. Org table formulas already support notations like

> | 3,5 | 4,2 | 7 |

> #+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;N

Not sure I understand this

| 3,5 | 4,2 | 7 | (7, 7) | (7, 7) |
|     |     |   |        |        |
#+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;N::$4=$1+$2;E::$5=$1+$2;L

> (see 3.5.2 Formula syntax for Calc)

> we may as well implement something like ";Nc" that will interpret cells
> as numbers with "," as decimal point separator.

> Is there such a demand?

> (see 3.5.2 Formula syntax for Calc)

> we may as well implement something like ";Nc" that will interpret cells
> as numbers with "," as decimal point separator.

> Is there such a demand?

I think others should speak up, all I can say

    1. «,» is the standard in German speaking countries, while

    2. «'» is the standard in Spanish speaking countries

For the separator.

In my use case  I need to generate  ods documents that use the
German language setting, org-mode however relying on calc needs the

I solve this issue by exporting my org-table to csv, set scalc to German
as a default language, and then import the csv file, using American
English.