Re: Confused about source code blocks evaluation when exporting

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: Confused about source code blocks evaluation when exporting
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:12:50 +0200

Fraga, Eric writes on Thu 14 Jul 2022 08:35:
 > On Thursday, 14 Jul 2022 at 10:09, Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr wrote:
 > > #+begin_src emacs-lisp
 > > (setq org-latex-pdf-process <for natib or for biblatex>)
 > > #+end_src
 > >
 > > which I want to be evaluated during export but I want neither the code
 > > not its results to appear on the exported pdf file.
 > >
 > > Maybe there are smarter ways to achieve this goal, but it was an
 > > opportunity for me anyway to start understanding this evaluation
 > > business.
 >
 > For this kind of setting, I use file local variables and #+bind:.
 > Evaluating this code snippet during the export process is probably not
 > what you want.  You want it set prior to exporting?

Thanks a lot.

I don't know if I want to set org-latex-pdf-process _during_ or
_prior_ exporting.  All I wanted to do is to _not_ set it in the emacs
init file, so as to be able to set a specific value depending on
whether I was going to use natbib or biblatex, without having to
restart emacs.

I tried doing something with what you suggest (using #+bind:), but
failed:

I put the following at the end of my org file (then visited the file
again):

# Local Variables:
# org-export-allow-bind-keywords: t
# End:

As I was not sure about the bind syntax for the complicated
org-latex-pdf-process variable, I tried this first test:

#+bind: org-latex-pdf-process "dummy"
# (I also tried without the quotes)
#+cite_export: natbib plainnat
#+bibliography: cite.bib
[cite:@chouet88]

And then 'C-c C-e l o'.  There is no error but the generated pdf is
not correct, because (as mentioned some days ago)
org-latex-pdf-process does not have the proper value.

In other words, '#+bind:' does not work as expected.

(By contrast, if I use "my" method, using

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :exports results
(setq org-latex-pdf-process 'dummy)
#+end_src

then, after 'C-c C-e l o' I get "org-latex-compile: Wrong type
argument: sequencep, dummy".
)

This post

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/47474/setting-variable-for-org-mode-html-export

looked promising, but it also points to this one

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41964712/how-does-bind-really-works/42012392#42012392

which looks less so...

At any rate, and as I already said, all this business became
irrelevant for me once latexmk was installed: no need then to set
org-latex-pdf-process.  This became only a matter of better
understanding some of the org intricacies.

Thank you again for your time.

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr