Re: org-encode-time bug

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: org-encode-time bug
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:24:19 -0400

> Morgan Smith <Morgan.J.Smith@outlook.com> writes:
>
>> I'm using emacs from commit f258f67 (quite recent) and org from commit
>> 39005dc (quite recent).
>>
>> I'm using native compilation and PGTK.
>
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function org-encode-time)
>>   org-encode-time((0 0 0 21 7 2022 4 t -14400))
>>   org-matcher-time("<2022-07-21 Thu 00:00>")
>>   org-clock-get-table-data(...)
>>   org-dblock-write:clocktable(...)
>>   org-update-dblock()
>>   org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c(nil)
>>   funcall-interactively(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c nil)
>>   command-execute(org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)
>
> org-encode-time is defined in org-macs.el in the latest Org, but _not_
> in built-in Org. What you are seeing is most likely caused by "mixed"
> installation of Org when part of Org is loaded from built-in Org
> distribution coming from Emacs.
>
>> I was able to reproduce this with 'emacs -Q'
>>
>> When trying to update a clocktable I get the following backtrace (with a
>> little bit removed).
>
> Could you please detail on what you did to load the latest org with
> Emacs -Q? Using purely emacs -Q cannot trigger the error simply because
> org-encode-time is absent in the built-in Org.

In my case, it was caused by an update, followed by `make autoloads',
followed by 'org-reload'. That last part is not guaranteed to work,
particularly on the cutting edge, so restarting emacs is sometimes
necessary - as it was in this case. No problems afterwards.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler