Re: Volunteering to maintain ob-asymptote.el within Org

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: Volunteering to maintain ob-asymptote.el within Org
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 12:52:27 +0300

Hello Munyoki.

Munyoki Kilyungi <me@bonfacemunyoki.com> writes:

>> I do not understand this. Why would supporting a professional-level
>> graphics programming language be distracting someone from their work
>> when using Org?
>
> I'm not _against_ supporting a proffesional-level graphics PL.  What
> I'm trying to say is that having it installed should be a choice made
> by the end-user.

I think someone already mentioned that having ob-asymptote.el within Org
does not require the end users to install anything.

> I reckon I'll give this is a shot this coming weekend and see how this
> goes.  Is this:
> <https://www.orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-asymptote.html>
> sufficient to get me started?

It is sufficient, but I am not sure whether those examples are a good
way to start.

If you want to get acquainted with Asymptote, I suggest that after
setting it up you take a minimal example like the following

#+begin_src asymptote :file result-figure.pdf
size (8cm, 0);
#+end_src

and then use various sources such as the ones below to explore and learn:

- Charles Staats' Asymptote tutorial

  https://asymptote.sourceforge.io/asymptote_tutorial.pdf

- Asymptote manual

  https://asymptote.sourceforge.io/asymptote.pdf

- Art of Problem Solving forums, which use Asymptote as their built-in
  graphics language, e.g.

  https://artofproblemsolving.com/community/c5h2782914_another_hexagon_problem

  (click on a diagram to see the corresponding Asymptote code).

  see also

  https://artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Asymptote:_Getting_Started

All the best,

Jarmo