Re: Something has happened such that I can't export to latex

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Something has happened such that I can't export to latex
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:18:30 +1000

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble09.plus.com> writes:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble09.plus.com> writes:
>>
>>> But, I'm unable to 'make autoloads' in the git version because its
>>>     trying to connect to /usr/share/emacs and looking for something
>>>     there which isn't there and just ends up deleting org-loaddefs, and the
>>> only way that
>>>     I can get round it is by restoring git/org-mode from backup.
>>>
>>> Can you advise please as to how I can surmount that obstacle?
>>
>> I am not sure. make autoloads should have nothing to do with
>> /usr/share/emacs
>>
>> What exactly happens when you run make autoloads?
>>
>> Best,
>> Ihor
>
> Morning all.
>
> =====
> foo$ git pull
> From https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/org-mode
>    5be0c709b3..d37c0ee5fa  main       -> origin/main
> Updating 5be0c709b3..d37c0ee5fa
> Fast-forward
>  lisp/org.el      | 2 +-
>  lisp/ox-latex.el | 7 +++++--
>  mk/org-fixup.el  | 2 +-
>
> foo$ make autoloads
> make -C lisp autoloads
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/boudiccas/git/org-mode/lisp'
> rm -f org-version.el org-loaddefs.el org-version.elc org-loaddefs.elc
> org-install.elc
> org-version: 9.5.4 (release_9.5.4-684-gd37c0e)
> Warning: Lisp directory '/usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp': No such file
> or directory
> Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, loadup.el
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:72: org-version.el] Error 255
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/boudiccas/git/org-mode/lisp'
> make: *** [mk/targets.mk:133: autoloads] Error 2
> =====
>
> Does this help please?

After you do a pull from git, I think you should always do a make clean
before trying anything else. The error is referencing a file which has
nothing to do with org, so I suspect something is wrong with your local
environment. I would also try

git clean -dxf

in the root of the org git tree just to ensure there are no files there
which don't belong. Follow that with make clean and make.