Re: Org links and Flatpak firefox

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Org links and Flatpak firefox
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 13:49:40 +1000

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

>> Out of curiosity, what is the reason why you are avoiding firefox as a
>> snap package?
>
> I'm not 100 % sure why but I don't like snap. Maybe because it pollutes the
> home folder. I
> read up on snap vs flatpak vs AppImage and flatpak seemed to get the best
> reviews, so I've
> gone with that one.

There has been a real issue with startup times for snap based
firefox. While there have been some improvements very recently, the snap
version is still significantly slower to start than the flatpak version
(on my system, it was taking over 25 seconds! This is on a 20 core i7
with 32Gb RAM and SSD).

I recently switched from Ubuntu (which favours snap) to Fedora (which
favours flatpak). However, when I was on Ubuntu, I actually replaced the
snap version with the deb version (this is still possible, but people
don't necessarily know that) because it was so much faster to start. I
think the deb/rpm based versions are still the fastest, but flatpak
opens firefox within just a couple of seconds on the same hardware where
snap took 25.