Re: commit e22b4eb7 kills formatting & color

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: commit e22b4eb7 kills formatting & color
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 14:21:08 +0100

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> With the latest org-mode, my org files have lost all syntax
    >> coloring and org-mode formatting. They are essentially dead. If I
    >> revert commit e22b4eb7 then they come back to life with coloring
    >> and formatting as usual. My files have local variables which have
    >> worked perfecting ok before the e22b4eb7 commit. Have other users
    >> experienced similar issues?

    > The commits puts file-local and directory-local variables in
    > effect _before_ loading Org mode. It means that e.g. setting up
    > initial visibility can be done using directory-local variables.

    > Do you have any idea which particular file-local variable is
    > leading to the breakage?

    > Best, Ihor

Dear Ihor,

Well I'm tempted to say all of them because I have local variables in
files and .dir-locals.el in many locations. But for a start:

# Local Variables:
# eval: (setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)
# eval: (setq org-adapt-indentation t)
# eval: (set (make-local-variable 'org-hide-emphasis-markers) t)
# End:

I am obviously missing something because I thought a local variable was
by definition local to a file or directory and was not used until that
file was opened. So why put them in effect before they are needed?

Best wishes.