Re: [feature request] startup variable for link display

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [feature request] startup variable for link display
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 23:31:09 +0700

On 09/08/2022 22:46, Fraga, Eric wrote:

On Tuesday,  9 Aug 2022 at 22:21, Max Nikulin wrote:
Is it possible to use setter function for the defcustom to make the
following work?

I'm not sure what this means.

I had in mind :set attribute of defcustom, see info "(elisp) Variable Definitions"
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Variable-Definitions.html#index-set_002c-defcustom-keyword

but I have realized that I am unsure it the function is called for local variables. The original idea was to execute something like code of `org-toggle-link-display'.

# Local Variables:
# org-link-descriptive: nil
# End:

Ah, thank you for pointing out the variable.  I didn't manage to find
it.

In any case, I tried this with both nil and t and neither value works
(for me).  Links are only shown by displaying the descriptive text.
Maybe there is another setting that overrides?

If I got it right, Ihor tried to fix it, but he had to revert the change intended to apply local variables earlier

Ihor Radchenko to emacs-orgmode… Re: folding problems. Fri, 05 Aug 2022 19:37:10 +0800. https://list.orgmode.org/87k07mora1.fsf@localhost

In the particular case of `org-link-descriptive' some code should be executed *after* changing of its value.