Re: [BUG] org-attach-id-ts-folder-format fails on customized IDs [9.6 (9

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-attach-id-ts-folder-format fails on customized IDs [9.6 (9.6-??-2e9999783)]
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 22:59:18 +0700

On 12/08/2022 23:08, Janek F wrote:
I use org-roam which creates links between org-files using the ID, and I
would like to be able to manually add such links to common pages even if
autocompletion doesn't work smoothly.

Unfortunately I have not tried org-roam yet. My suggestion is to add CUSTOM_ID property in addition to ID. I admit that CUSTOM_ID may be inconvenient if a heading is moved from one file to another. Are there more problems with CUSTOM_ID links?

Considering the other messages, let's not get lost in details, the
default function does not need to consider all edge cases. It simply
should not error out on ids in a different format.

Janek, what is your expectation concerning directory structure for attachments in the case of customized ID values?

You have not provided details concerning your configuration, but perhaps your issue may be solved by customizing `org-attach-id-to-path-function-list': keep `org-attach-id-uuid-folder-format' and drop `org-attach-id-ts-folder-format'. It should help unless you have single character IDs.

I do not think Org behavior is ideal in your case. On the other hand the code was written with assumption that either UUID or timestamp-based IDs are used. It is violated by handcrafted IDs. I do not know the full story, but I guess, `org-attach-id-ts-folder-format' is present in default configuration for backward compatibility reasons.

org-attach-id-ts-folder-format: Args out of range: "ftt", 0, 6

is an obscure error. However Org needs some hint from user how to handle such case.