Re: C-c $ missing?

From: Summer Emacs
Subject: Re: C-c $ missing?
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:06:25 +0200

Matt @ 2022-08-18 19:19 :

>  ---- On Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:46:23 -0400  Summer Emacs  wrote ---
>  >
>  > Hi everyone, first time posting. I hope it's okay to ask this here (I'm
>  > totally new):
>
> Welcome!

ty! 🙃

>  > Since this morning (I updated a few packages but not sure which), C-c $
>  > is missing in org mode? It's how I used to archive tasks when they were
>  > done. I know that I can use C-c C-x C-s but I used to just use C-c $ and
>  > it worked. Did something change with an update?
>  >
>  > (I think it was C-c $ or maybe C-x $? Sometimes I get the two confused)
>
> I don't know if anything changed with Org, I'll let others speak to
> that.  However, in the mean time, check C-h k C-c C-x C-s to see what
> command is bound to that sequence (is it org-archive-subtree?).  Then
> you can bind it with something like:

Yep it's that. 🙃

> (eval-after-load 'org-mode
>   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-x C-s") #'org-archive-subtree))

It's already bound to that so no need. 🙃

> This says, "after loading org-mode for the first time, define the key
> sequence within the variable telling Emacs what keys do what for
> org-mode to call the function org-archive-subtree when it sees C-c C-x
> C-s."  The C-h f and C-h v commands describe-function and
> describe-variable can probably explain that better.

C-c C-x C-s was never in question. 🙃 I was asking what happened to 'C-c
$' because that *would* actually archive the subtree instead of having
to type out C-c C-x C-s. It's even in my notes for emacs commands to use
and I used to use it every day for DONE tasks. 🙃

>From my notes:

* C-c C-t - Change task status
* C-c $ - Archive subtree

See? It's there. 🙃

(Sorry for the hearts emojis those are my bullets in org mode I just
copy/pasted)

So I was just curious as to what happened to C-c $? But as to your
explanation for the code, I will keep that and use it whenever it comes
up! Ty! I *have* done *basic* keybinds before but nothing more than
that. In fact, I'm putting your code in my denote files for later
reference. Thank you very much. 🙃

> [... 4 lines elided]

> We all start somewhere!   I hope this helps.  Just saw your message as I was
> passing by.  If it's unclear, that's totally my fault!

Yea we definitely do. TY for your reply. 🙂

--
Summer,
Sent from MU4E in Emacs,