Re: Filtering agenda clockreport not working?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Filtering agenda clockreport not working?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 21:20:50 +0800

John Young <jsy1001@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> In the org mode manual the description for org-agenda-clockreport-mode states
> that using a prefix argument when toggling this mode (i.e. typing “C-u R”)
> causes the clock table to exclude contributions to entries hidden by agenda
> filtering (as activated by typing “/“). I have tried this with a tags filter
> active, and the clock table is the same as when I don’t use a prefix
> argument. If I have clocked tasks tagged with a filtered out tag, they are
> still included in the agenda clock table.
>
> I looked at the source code for the org-agenda-clockreport-mode function in
> org v9.5.4, and it appears that any prefix argument is ignored.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something, or could this be a bug?

It looks like this functionality has been accidentally removed when
fixing some bug.

The culprit is

>> 2e9c2d7128e0491491d00b585be83ac688587d00
>> Author:     Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
>> AuthorDate: Thu Jun 12 15:07:35 2014 +0200
>> Commit:     Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
>> CommitDate: Thu Jun 12 15:07:35 2014 +0200
>> org-agenda.el: Fix bug when redoing sticky agendas with log mode and/or
>> clockreport mode on
>>
>> * org-agenda.el (org-agenda-mode): Let `org-agenda-redo' DTRT
>> when agenda are sticky.
>> (org-agenda-tag-filter-while-redo): Delete.
>> (org-agenda-list, org-agenda-redo, org-agenda-filter-by-tag):
>> Remove unused code.
>> (org-agenda-clockreport-mode, org-agenda-set-mode-name): Don't
>> consider tag filters.
>>
>> Thanks to Bernt Hansen for reporting this.

Bastien, we usually do not remove the existing feature. Do you remember
if this was intentional, or should we reconsider that bugfix?

Given that relevant bug report only surfaced now, this feature may not
be something people are really relying upon. So, deleting the mention in
the manual might also be a valid option.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,