How to utilize Org mode editing without display formatting

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: How to utilize Org mode editing without display formatting
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 12:28:53 -0400

Hi:

I have an Emacs programmatic need where I want to read an Org file into Emacs in a raw form without any display formatting (because the formatting is too slow for large or many Org files) but I need to leave the buffer after processing in Org mode, again without taking the time to visually format the buffer in any way.  I want it in Org mode so that Org editing and outlining commands potentially work properly but don't need any of the fancy font-locking or complex display formatting.  Is this possible without building a derived mode?

It would be very nice if the display formatting in Org were a minor mode that you could enable and disable to switch between the formatted and unformatted display all with one command.

Thanks for any help.

-- rsw