Re: In an export transcoder, when should I use org-element-property to g

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: In an export transcoder, when should I use org-element-property to get values vs. the contents parameter
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 11:49:36 +0800

"Rohit Patnaik" <quanticle@quanticle.net> writes:

> My question is, why does org-md-verbatim use org-element-property to retrieve
> the text to be transcoded, when org-md-bold and org-md-italic use the contents
> parameter. In other words, couldn't the function be simplified to something
> like
> this:

You can't because the contents of verbatim element is always nil.
Verbatim cannot contain other objects inside. All the objects that can
contain other objects are listed in org-element-object-containers.

> The broader context for my question is that I'm writing my own org exporter,
> and
> I'd like some more clarity on what the distinction is between getting the
> value
> of the element with org-element-property and relying on the export framework
> pass the value to the transcoder via the contents parameter.

Any Org element is structured as (type properties contents). However,
not all the Org elements have contents (as I mentioned above). Elements
without contents generally store their text in one of the PROPERTIES.
You may find it useful to examine org-element-interpret-TYPE functions
to see how the element text can be recovered from its PROPERTIES and
CONTENTS.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,