Re: Support for tagging (special) blocks

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Support for tagging (special) blocks
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 16:41:25 +0800

Sébastien Miquel <sebastien.miquel@posteo.eu> writes:

>  > We already have ":exports none" header argument.
>
> For src block yes, but not for special blocks.
>
> To explain where I'm coming from : I write mathematical content
> categorized using special blocks, such as theorems, exercices, proofs,
> personnal notes, etc. Then from a single org file, I export several
> pdf files, filtering the content according to the types and tags of
> special blocks : for example, to exclude some proofs, or exercices
> that are too hard.

We may allow something like

#+attr_all: :exports no

in export.

>  > Affiliated keywords are indeed not uniform with headlines. But they are
>  > uniform with everything else. Paragraphs can have affiliated keywords.
>  > Or other blocks. Or lists. Or tables...
>
> That's indeed a good point. In fact, I had been wondering recently how
> I could tag a single list item, but I guess affiliated keywords still
> can't do that.

Affiliated keywords can be assigned to lists. Not single items though:

#+CAPTION: test1
- item 1
  #+CAPTION: test2
  - item 2
  #+CAPTION: test3
  - item 3

>  >> On a slightly related note, I find it quite unfortunate that one
>  >> presently cannot make use of the #+begin_ line of special blocks to
>  >> set some kind of optional title instead of using #+name or
>  >> #+attr_latex. That's a lot of wasted real estate.
>  >
>  > Yes, but we do not want to overcomplicate Org syntax. Affiliated
>  > keywords are universal across multiple element types. Adding a
>  > specialized syntax for src blocks will make things complex technically
>  > and create duplicate code.
>  >
>  > We can alter the fontification to compact the screen space though. Will
>  > it suffice?
>  >

> I don't see any possible compactification that doesn't hinder
> readability. From my perspective, it is important that the type of the
> special block, its title, and its tags are readable.

I feel that I either misunderstand you here or in the previous message.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,