Re: Org-Crypt usage questions

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org-Crypt usage questions
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 15:00:42 +0800

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I've gotten org-crypt working, but I have some questions:
>
> + the setup in the manual only automatically *encrypts* on save, not
> decrypts on read, correct?

Yes.

> + decryption is done via org-decrypt-* -- is there another way?

M-x org-reveal (C-c C-r)

> + after org-decrypt-*, will the entries be automatically encrypted
> again or do I have to use org-encrypt-*?

They will be encrypted on save as long as they are marked with "crypt"
(or `org-crypt-tag-matcher', if you alter it).

> + after decrypting, can I re-encrypt with a new symmetric password?

Yes. AFAIK, the symmetric password is never reused. Though it may depend
on your gpg settings.

> + if I use a symmetric password on org-encrypt-entry, does the password
> apply to the whole file or just the entry?

Just the entry.

> + The manual needs the above information on org-[de|en]crypt or did I
> miss it?

You are right. Patches are welcome!

--
Ihor Radchenko,