Re: Manual Ordering and Dynamic Priority

From: Eduardo Suárez
Subject: Re: Manual Ordering and Dynamic Priority
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 10:15:40 +0100

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I've been thinking about it and I've come up
with another solution.

My main problem is, given a file with lots of tasks, to create a "preorder" of
tasks to avoid the fear of missing out tasks when planning or selecting the top
priority tasks. To review the full list of tasks takes very long (my estimate
is O(n^2)). Reordering the current hierarchy is not an option because the file
has already a predefined (deep) structure.

So my solution is simple: create another top level heading in the file named
planning and create a hierarchy of links to tasks in it. Something like this:

* Planning
- [[#task4][My task 4 header]]
  - [[#task5][My task 5 header]]
  - [[#task1][My task 1 header]]
- [[#task2][My task 2 header]]
  - [[#task7][My task 7 header]]
    - [[#task6][My task 6 header]]
  - [[#task3][My task 3 header]]

So I can preorder using dependencies like org mode natural TODO dependencies,
and I get something like a gantt chart (without dates and planning). Moreover,
it looks simple to create a template to add a task to this list. I can even
document the relationship between tasks and priorities there.

Then, it is straightforward to select top priority tasks in this file.
Repeating the same for every agenda file, I can easily select a small list of
tasks to work with (e.g. assigning priorities or a TODO keyword).