Re: Org mode "style sheet" for software documentation

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode "style sheet" for software documentation
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 13:09:53 +0800

Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

> So… it seems I didn’t the two BORDER characters do not need to match.  So I’m
> off trying to figure out a way to create more emphasis MARKERS.  In the old
> days, we had only about 43 non-alphanumeric characters to play with but now
> with Emacs being 8 bit clean for countless years we have another 128
> characters and with UTF-8 we have bazillians more!
>
> So I’m gently poking around in the code to see how hard it would be to define
> more.

We currently do not support extensions to emphasis, though we may do it
in future. See https://orgmode.org/list/87letvrege.fsf@localhost

Implementing new emphasis markers will require introducing a new syntax
object into org-element.el. Such object will unlikely be using a
single-char markers - single-char markers are problematic in numerous
edge cases; we should better introduce something closer to inline src
block syntax to allow arbitrary emphasis extensions.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,