Re: Question about cite_export basic

From: Dominik Schrempf
Subject: Re: Question about cite_export basic
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 15:53:13 +0200

> Dominik Schrempf <dominik.schrempf@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   title           = {{Introduction to Markov Chain Monte Carlo}},
>> Is rendered as
>>
>> Geyer, Charles J (2011). {Introduction to Markov Chain Monte Carlo}, CRC
>> press.
>>
>> In particular, the curly braces are printed. Curly braces are often
>> used in bib files to indicate that the capitalization is to be
>> preserved.
>>
>> Do we want to change the default behavior of the basic processor so
>> that it correctly handles these cases?
>
> This makes sense. However, I see it as something to be done by
> bibtex.el; not by Org. Or we may need to write a small exporter for
> BibTeX fields specifically. So that
> http://www.bibtex.org/SpecialSymbols/ is obeyed. We may also handle
> upcasing the title words in such exporter.
>
> For now, I reached Emacs devs asking to provide the parsing within
> bibtex.el. See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=57712
> Lets see what they reply first.

Dear Ihor!

Thank you for posting the BibTeX brace problem upstream. From what I can
see by reading through the conversation, we are going down a rabbit
hole. It seems to be pretty difficult to convert a BibTeX entry to a
proper ascii string (I think this is what the basic export processor is
doing). Is that true?

Not sure how to proceed. I do not think that post processing
`bibtex-parse-entry` output which seems to contain LaTeX code makes
sense.

Best,
Dominik