Re: Suggested Syntax for cancelled checkboxes: [-] as non-blocking depen

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Suggested Syntax for cancelled checkboxes: [-] as non-blocking dependency
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 17:03:17 +0200

Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> writes:

> At first it makes sense, but we do have headlines and TODO keywords to
> express different states, colors and even sets of states. This is just a
> checklist construct. I think if I wanted to mark something as canceled
> or not relevant I would do something like this:
>
> - [ ] this is important.
> - [X] +canceled+ this is not important.
>
> or even strike through everything.

FWIW, I use this:

- [X] +This task will probably be canceled+

I don't think we should implement a new status for canceled tasks.
On top of the implementation (C-u C-u C-u C-c C-c ?), I believe it
is more flexible to be able to let canceled tasks block the whole
set of tasks---or not.  So both these tasks seem useful to me:

- [X] +A canceled task+
- [-] +A canceled task+

Implementing "canceled tasks" will probably force one interpretation
over another, we lose in flexibility and readability.

2 cts,

--
 Bastien