Re: Suggested Syntax for cancelled checkboxes: [-] as non-blocking depen

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Suggested Syntax for cancelled checkboxes: [-] as non-blocking dependency
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 10:46:00 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> +1. As usual, I'm concerned about over engineering and over
> complicating matters for corner cases. As you correctly point out,
> implementing something here is likely to force a specific interpretation
> of cancelled with may not fit with other interpretations.

For reference, I am seeing this feature as a step towards better
modularity of org-list.el. The current list code is rather monolithic
and leaves no room for user customization of the commands. (Also, see
recent discussions about converting between lists and headings
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/877d4luxb8.fsf@localhost/
https://orgmode.org/list/877d3k70lu.fsf@localhost)

Even if we do not provide "canceled" items in lists, having an
infrastructure to customize list commands better will be a good thing to
have.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,