Re: [BUG] org-agenda-list takes 4m compared to 27 that took 15 seconds [

From: andrés ramírez
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-agenda-list takes 4m compared to 27 that took 15 seconds [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-25-gaf6f12 @ /usr/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/org/)]
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 16:14:08 +0000

Hi. Ihor.

[...]

    Ihor> You appear to have a large number of diary-style timestamps. This is
not common. Normal
    Ihor> timestamps are generally much faster because we can construct a
matching regexp based on
    Ihor> current agenda date instead of checking every single sexp.

I started using the org-agenda several years ago. When I add a new entry which
is
probably weekly. I just kill the previous line and yank and update the
new one on my agenda files. This is a tipical example of one of my
entries.

%%(diary-block 8 1 2022 8 1 2022) 9:00-11:00 retiro.espiritual
{collaborator.family}

Pardon my ignorance. How could You translate it to a normal timestamp?.

    Ihor> Having said that, I now have an idea how to avoid the overheads in
such scenarios. Just
    Ihor> pushed the change upstream. Can you check? It should bypass most of
the slow checks in
    Ihor> your use case.

Neat. Now it took 25s. It is really very near to emacs-27
performance. Congrats.

[...]

    Ihor> We have a whole dedicated section in the manual: "A.8 Speeding Up
Your Agendas". Agenda
    Ihor> performance is a well-known problem since years back.  The coming
release (the current
    Ihor> main branch) will have major improvements to performance in this
area, although I have
    Ihor> mostly optimized it for timestamp-based agendas and todo agendas
before your report.

Thanks for the work.

Best Regards