Re: org-assert-version considered harmful

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-assert-version considered harmful
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:15:40 +0800

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Then, I am inclined towards easing the version check to (org-version)
>> instead of (org-git-version).
>
> FWIW strong +1 here.

There is one more concern we may need to solve prior to changing
org-git-version to org-version.

Currently, main and bugfix branches both have (org-version) ; => "9.5.5"
As a result, the assertion will not catch the important case when users
mix Org version installed via package.el and Org version installed from
git.

Should we use the next planned release version number on main branch as
a convention?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,