Re: orgmode.org welcome page says to install via MELPA but as writing, t

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: orgmode.org welcome page says to install via MELPA but as writing, this cannot be done
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:30:04 +0200

Hi Timothy,

Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:

>> IMHO if someone with UX/UI experience can/wants to interview real Org
>> newcomers, that will help us a lot for deciding about such tiny changes.
>
> Unfortunately, it can be quite hard to find such people on the ML etc. (funny
> about that šŸ˜›).

I'm copying Eduardo who volunteered in the past for this kind of work.

> For what itā€™s worth, when doing the original website re-design I went to some
> effort to get the thoughts of people who donā€™t use Org to make sure it did a
> decent job communicating the essentials.

Definitely an ingredient of why your work improved the situation a lot!

> With regards to the current banner, Iā€™m inclined to remove the report bug
> text:
> having that as well as the badge-link is simply confusing, and the badge-link
> the feedback page is better.

> We can also add a source code badge using the git icon and linking to
> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/>, and Iā€™d then be
> inclined
> to remove the ā€œRepository ā€¦ā€ text for similar reasons.

I'd definitely love to get more feedback on this: I don't think the
current banner is *that* cluttered, and the info about the repo and
the way to send bug reports seems really useful - but perhaps that's
just me.

Please go ahead with what seems better to you (especially since it
matches Ihor's preferences too), but if Eduardo has some time to help,
it be great to really stabilize what kind of info is expected on this
banner.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien