Re: IM dev discussions?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: IM dev discussions?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:46:59 +0200

Hi Timothy,

Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:

> Doing something similar for Org development is an interesting idea. Something
> similar probably could be set up with the Org room, or a dedicated Org-dev
> room
> (I’m aware of Bastien’s thoughts on wanting development and help to not be
> separated, but while I like the idea of them living in the same space, I’m
> personally a big fan of categorisation. For instance, we could make an
> org-mode
> space with a few different rooms: org-dev, org-help, org-showcase, org-chat,
> etc.).

I'm all for places where people can freely discuss anything related to
Org.  There are already many such places: #org-mode and #org-mode-fr
on IRC, r/org-mode on reddit.com, stackoverflow.com, etc.

I don't want development decisions to be taken in such places---that I
think we all agree upon.

Based on that, I don't want a separated IRC channel or a Matrix room
to be promoted (de facto, by its name) as the place for "contributing
to Org's development": #org-dev or a dedicated Matrix room would sound
like this to newcomers.  #orgmode is the IM complement of the mailing
list: a place where Orgers discuss.  On top of that, the ML is the
place where to suggest patches.

I think I get your point about categorisation in general, but in this
case, there is the risk of excluding a category of people (lurkers,
occasional contributors, etc.) or more precisely: to incidently and
inadvertently encourage them to self-exclude themselves.

> With regards to accessibility, I think Matrix is also reaching a rather good
> point.

Is it possible to lurk in a Matrix room without any login?

The same way you can send an email to the mailing list without being a
subscriber (vs opening a GitHub issue without having a GitHub account)
you can lurk in #org-mode without having a registered account on the
IRC server, which is good.

> The current state of affairs includes an Emacs client, a host of
> dedicated apps, in-browser web clients, and more. While the ability to peruse
> archives has not yet been developed, it is also possible to copy a link to a
> particular message, and so a conversation can be transferred from Matrix to
> the
> ML with a link to the initial conversation, e.g.
> <https://matrix.to/#/!rUhEinythPhVTdddsb:matrix.org/$1663983705132172ICPRd:matrix.org>

It's good to be able to connect to Matrix via Emacs: I will try this
myself soon.

All best,

--
 Bastien