Re: on picking diary-style timestamps or normal timestamps when adding a

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: on picking diary-style timestamps or normal timestamps when adding agenda entries
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 11:21:16 +0800

andrés ramírez <rrandresf@hotmail.com> writes:

> * PE
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CATEGORY: da.santi
> :END:
> ** <2022-09-24 Sat 9:00-11:00> etiro.espiritual {collaborator.family} :DAVID:
> ** <2022-09-27 Tue> Another entry to be displayed in agenda. It inherits
> parent category
>
> That one looks promising. Could I omit the day-on-letters (three
> letters) before the closing bracket?.

Yup.
>From a footnote in 8.1 Timestamps sections of Org manual:

       (1) The Org date format is inspired by the standard ISO 8601
    date/time format.  To use an alternative format, see *note Custom time
    format::.  The day name is optional when you type the date yourself.
    However, any date inserted or modified by Org adds that day name, for
    reading convenience.

> I remember there was a keybinding for picking the day from calendar. But I
> noticed killing and yanking was quicker than using the calendar. I am a
> viper-mode user. killing and yanking is just yyp.

Inserting timestamp for today's date is as easy as C-c . <RET>
Choosing tomorrow is just C-c . + <RET>
Choosing next week is C-c . +w <RET>
See 8.2.1 The date/time prompt

Also, you can copy the whole heading shifting time in its timestamps.
See org-clone-subtree-with-time-shift (C-c C-x c)

>     Ihor> Note org-refile command. See "9.1 Refile and Copy" section of Org
> manual.
>
> Last time I tried org-refile I did not stick on my workflow, perhaps I
> should try again.

Depending on your preference, you may want to customize
org-refile-use-outline-path and org-outline-path-complete-in-steps.

In particular, changing org-outline-path-complete-in-steps to nil works
best with fuzzy completion backends like helm/ivy/orderless.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,