Re: Create in Org a bilingual book with facing pages

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Create in Org a bilingual book with facing pages
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 20:29:25 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> The bilingual critical edition (ancient Greek/Spanish) of the letters of
> Demosthenes and Aeschines has recently been published in Spain, a book
> whose production and typesetting I have taken charge of, using Org and
> Org-publish. Although I already have a long experience typesetting
> bilingual editions of a certain complexity, especially for philological
> use, I had never done it until now by centralizing the entire process in
> Org-Mode. I have to say that it has been a very interesting experience,
> so I leave here below a brief description of the process and some tips,
> in case they can be useful to someone who wants to prepare from Org
> bilingual texts with facing pages and certain complexity.
>
> BTW, Here’s a sample of two pages from the book:
>
> <https://i.imgur.com/XUOGEnf.png>

Thanks for sharing!

This post appears to be a nice fit for
https://orgmode.org/worg/org-blog-articles.html (except non-permanent
imgur links). Do you have an Org version? Or maybe an actual blog post?

> To compile the two PDFs separately and get the PDF in sync, I also do it
> from Org using a shell source block. So I have all PDFs always
> synchronized up to date. The synchronized PDF is obtained with pdftk:
>
> <https://i.imgur.com/qbSg2po.png>

I notice two things here:

1. \clearpage command, which reminds me about
   https://orgmode.org/list/87mtamjrft.fsf@localhost
   May it be useful to have page break syntax element in Org?

2. You had to use direct LaTeX for caption. Can we do something to make
   the #+caption keywords more useful?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,