Re: Org and Hyperbole

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Org and Hyperbole
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 16:06:17 +0300

* Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> [2022-06-21 02:43]:

> Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 02:03:15PM +0000, Juan Manuel MacĂ­as wrote:
> >> I've been intrigued with GNU Hyperbole for a while. I'm reading the
> >> documentation and trying it out a bit. It seems that its button system
> >> is very powerful. But Org links are also powerful (and exportable), and
> >> can be extended outside of Org docs. It seems that hyperbole offers some
> >> cool stuff that Org also has. And other things that are not in Org. I
> >> find some parts a bit confusing. I wonder if anyone is using hyperbole
> >> with Org and can put here some minimal workflow example where both
> >> complement each other in some way. Just in case I'm missing something
> >> useful...
> >
> > Juan,
> >
> > I've often wondered the same thing. I've looked at Hyperbole several
> > times. They have been great at advertising when a new release
> > occurs. Yet I find that I can't really find a useful feature in it
> > that I don't get from Org-mode.
> >
> > Is there some keen feature I'm missing? What's the use case for
> > Hyperbole if you're already an Org-mode user?
> >
> >                                     https://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> My experiences with it mirror yours. It looked interesting and there
> were some ideas which sounded interesting, but when I came to use it, I
> found little, if anything, which didn't have a close equivalence in org
> mode and many things in org mode which it did not have.
>
> In the end, it came down to asking myself do I really want yet another
> information management framework in my life and the answer was no. I do
> vaguely recall (it was a while ago) there were some ideas I thought
> would be good to add to org mode though. Unfortunately, I cannot recall
> the details now.

I somehow cannot relate to it, Hyperbole and Org mode are quite
different things. I have Hyperbole all the time here running, no
matter if I use Org mode or what other lightweight markup language.

Let's say there is region marked, I use sometimes Hyperbole to search
Internet for marked term. That is not related and not comparable to
Org mode which is meant to handle markup in a text file.

Hyperbole is what it says, extravagant exaggeration. It is meta to
Org.

I have specific window setup with different buffers and I want to
remember it, then I use Hyperbole {C-h h w n a} to remember it.

One can understand it by running demo {C-h h d d}, it is not related
to Org mode, it is to be used in Emacs over anything, regardless of modes.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman