Re: Org, Hyperbole, and eev

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Org, Hyperbole, and eev
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:15:06 -0300

On Wed, 28 Sept 2022 at 03:17, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> (...)

Hi Jean Louis,

I am not sure how to interpret the tone of your message. Does it mean
that you are not interested in a prototype that works in one case?
I.e., that you are only interested in something that has all the
flexibility that you need?

> I would like to have non-Org links so that my function for links
> interpolates into a button. It works now in the presentation mode. I
> would like to make links descriptive or non descriptive just as in
> Org, so that it works in editing mode.

You're hiding the technical details, and I don't know how to think in
these terms, sorry! =(

For me your "non-Org link" is a string composed of a few substrings
concatenated, and each of these substrings is either without text
properties or is built using "propertize" or "buttonize". In this
message

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-09/msg00725.html

I referred to those substrings as "subsegments", but I don't know what
is the correct term.

I am trying to factor your problem into several small functions in a
way that makes each of these small functions easy to test - with
one-liners if possible, like I do in the eev source code - and if we
do that factoring then the function that builds the "string composed
of a few substrings concatenated" that I mentioned above will not call
your rcd-template-eval and will not depend on the major mode...

I have the impression that the hard part _now_ is to write that
function that produces that string with text properties. Once we have
that we will have a clearer notion of what are the "non-Org links"
that we are dealing with, and it will be easier to think on the other
functions.

By the way, I mentioned here

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-09/msg00725.html

that the simple Org link that I inspected had about 8 subsegments with
different text properties... Org links need all that because they have
to handle correctly insertions and deletions at several points,
cutting and pasting, "following", conversion to fundamental mode, etc,
etc... I have the impression that we can start with a prototype in
which our prototype-ish non-Org links have only three subsegments, but
you will have to accept that in that prototype the links won't have
all the features that you want...

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev