Re: The Org mode in the Org Git does not export

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: The Org mode in the Org Git does not export
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 14:45:19 +0200

Thank you for helping me out.

Context:

With all this talk about Emacs 29 around the corner, I became scared
that the upcoming Org will render my Org notes unusable.  Hence, I
decided to ask now, before it happens.

> Can you
> 1. M-x debug-on-entry <RET> org-export--generate-copy-script <RET>
> 2. Start export
> 3. Step into the function (use "d", not "c" binding)
> 4. Try to identify which part (if any) is being slow

FYI: I had to do "(require 'ox)" before this worked.

I spent about 30 minutes pressing "d".  I saw Org sorting some character
encodings in a large number of steps, and then it started doing a large
number of various tasks, spending time in the AVL tree, etc.  I have no
idea what else to do.

I could not figure out how to step through N times at once for N > 1.  I
tried 'C-9 C-9 d' to step through 99 times, but that did not work.  The
documentation for 'debugger-step-through' contains just two sentences,
and I do not even understand the second one:

"Proceed, stepping through subexpressions of this expression.  Enter
another debugger on next entry to eval, apply or funcall."

> If the above does not work, you can also try
> 1. M-x trace-function <RET> org-export--generate-copy-script <RET>
> 2. M-x elp-instrument-function <RET> org-export--generate-copy-script
>    <RET>
> 2. Run export, possibly terminating it with C-g in the process
> 3. M-x elp-results <RET>
> 4. Share the contents of the trace buffer and the contents of the
>    elp-results buffer.

So, I ran the export for 17 minutes and then terminated with 'C-g'.  The
trace buffer included a very long line, which made Emacs froze, and I
had to kill it, after waiting for 5 minutes, losing all data in the
process.

I then tried to run the export for 3 minutes, and I managed to copy the
trace buffer, but upon pasting it into another buffer, Emacs froze
again, and I had to kill it again, losing data once again.

I then ran the export for 3 minutes once again, this time enabling just
the 'elp-instrument-function' to avoid freezing.  The 'elp-results'
output:

> org-export--generate-copy-script 1221 2.8268540000 0.0023151957

(The buffer also contains a header line, with e.g. "Function Name", but
Emacs did not allow me to select and copy it for you.)

Rudy
--
"Mathematics takes us still further from what is human into the region
of absolute necessity, to which not only the actual world, but every

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia