Re: Confused about what the COMMENT keyword means

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: Confused about what the COMMENT keyword means
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:57:13 +0200

Ihor Radchenko writes on Tue 27 Sep 2022 15:40:

 > However `org-export-as' is generally called inside
 > `org-export-to-file' and `org-export-to-file' needs to know which
 > file to export to in advance; before the buffer is stripped of
 > commented trees. That's why there is the observed inconsistency
 > between EXPORT_FILE_NAME and TITLE settings.

 > [...]

 > If you have something like
 >
 > * COMMENT heading
 > #+KEYWORD: value
 >
 > Org does look inside:
 > (heading (:commentedp t) (keyword))
 >
 > Then, such keyword can contribute to calculation of buffer
 > settings.  It is only `org-export-as' that makes special
 > arrangement and physically removes COMMENTed subtrees before
 > exporting the buffer.
 >
 > Hope it is now more clear.

Yes, thanks a lot, much clearer.

I can only hope that the "observed inconsistency" related to
EXPORT_FILE_NAME can be resolved.

I still feel that section 13.6 of the manual can only been interpreted
as: COMMENTing a tree is equivalent to commenting the tree.  I update
my suggestion of addendum to the footnote:

   Note that the subtree is still parsed and '#+KEYWORD: value' pairs
   can contribute to calculation of buffer settings, in particular
   '#+EXPORT_FILE_NAME: value'.

Incidentally, could you provide another example of a buffer setting
that would be taken into account even in a COMMENTed subtree?  (I
tried a few without success.)

Regards

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr