Re: Org mode export accessibility

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Org mode export accessibility
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 23:43:41 +0700

On 30/09/2022 20:29, T.V Raman wrote:

9. Note that this is not the end of the trail; for such exports to
    make a difference to the end-user, user-facing tools still need to
    know "how" to leverage these facilities.

Do you mean that there are no tools yet that may take advantage of math expressions embedded into PDF as LaTeX source markup? I am just trying to figure out current state of affairs. I suppose, it is unlikely that someone from Org mailing list subscribers is ready to invest significant amount of time into development of LaTeX packages. However if there were ready to use and safe packages improving accessibility then changing export templates would be more real goal.

In the meanwhile I have realized that \usepackage{mmap} has a little use in isolation. Fractions, indices, etc. are lost. Maybe some other packages should be loaded to provide more informative text equivalent for math.

Some details concerning what I have tried is below.

Original LaTeX expression:

Text \[ \int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \frac{dx}{x^2 + \varepsilon} \]

pdftotext -layout output for \usepackage{mmap}:
Text   \int     \beta
                           dx
           \alpha        x2 + \varepsilon

end of output

pdftotext output for \usepackage{cmap} and \usepackage[noTeX]{mmap}:
Text   ∫︁   𝛽
                  𝑑𝑥
        𝛼       𝑥2 + 𝜀

end of output

pdftotext output when neither cmap nor mmap is loaded:
Text   Z   β
                 dx
       α       x2 + ε

end of output

For this dumb example effect of mmap is hardly noticeable. Integral symbol is not replaced by "Z", but it is hard to guess sub- and superscripts and presence of the \frac command. Without "-layout" order of symbols is mostly preserved, but structure is lost

Text
∫︁

𝑑𝑥
𝑥2 + 𝜀