Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manua

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manuals
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 17:42:17 +0700

On 01/10/2022 10:30, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Another point is that most of the mentioned commands a close to
verbatim, but Org has much more special characters recognized as markup
and no markup is allowed inside Org verbatim snippets. Escaping (by zero
width spaces?) of code and samples may be prohibitively inconvenient in
Org if markup should be recognized inside.

We need a new special object type for markup that does not suffer from
the limitations of our current single-char-style *markup* constructs.
(It is not even solely motivated by this request from RMS; we just need
something to allow whitespace in verbatim boundaries)

I do not remember if the following idea has been discussed. What about extending source blocks and inline source snippets to allow :results ast header argument that caused executing during export only and expects s-expression with AST branch that is included into parsed tree without intermediate Org markup representation? Then a special org-babel backend may be created to support new markup type. I am unsure however at which stage of export source blocks are executed, maybe too early to implement the idea. The advantage is that no extension of Org syntax is necessary.