[HELP] Help implementing org-lint/warnings buffer during export (was: Or

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [HELP] Help implementing org-lint/warnings buffer during export (was: Org HTML export accessibility (was: org exported pdf files))
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 17:42:42 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> From an org-mode perspective, the key things which need to be maintained
> (and which perhaps we could make even easier or possibly have
> 'defaults') is the ability to add the alt attribute to any non-text
> element. For example, images, videos, sound files etc. All such content
> should always have some text describing the 'element'. However, it is
> also important to be able to not have an alt tag in some situations (for
> example, when using images as 'spacers' for formatting etc, we don't
> want an alt tag. Things to be aware of are things like using single
> characters or symbols (e.g. < and > for previous/next) or using unicode
> and other symbols whose meaning/purpose may seem very obvious when
> viewed, but is less so when 'spoken'.
>
> From an authoring perspective, it probably would be good if org mode was
> able to alert the user to content which lacks an alt attribute but which
> probably should have one e.g. an image with no caption, a link to a
> video/audio file etc.

This sounds like a good idea.

Org currently attempts to be slightly helpful by indicating, for
example, LaTeX compilation warnings. However, it is just done by writing
a simple message in the echo area.

What would be more useful is the kind of buffer displayed by org-lint,
but instead used during export:
- If there are any export issues (LaTeX errors/warnings) they can appear
  in the buffer
- If there are any stylistic issues (like lack of alt attributes during
  html export), they can also appear

Ideally, we should be able to jump directly to the line containing
error.

org-lint code could be used as a base, but otherwise we need to
implement something generic way to check style/export warnings on
per-backend basis.

This is probably something we need to do before we dive into the
accessibility specifics. AFAIU from the Tim's reply, many of the
accessibility guidelines may need to be decided by the document author.
Tim, let me know if I am wrong and some of the accessible tagging must
be done unconditionally.

I am marking this as a help request.

Let me know what you think.

--