Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manua

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: [HELP] Fwd: Org format as a new standard source format for GNU manuals
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:38:27 +0000

Hello all,

I like the idea of inline special blocks.  Given that we have recently
introduced [cite:...] as new syntax, could we generalise this and allow
any xxx in [xxx:...]?

With this, the example Max gave from texinfo:

>     By convention, the dynamic library for @var{language} is
>     @code{libtree-@{sitter@}-@var{"language"}.@var{ext}}, where @var{ext} is
> the
>     system-specific extension for dynamic libraries.

could look like

   By convention, the dynamic library for [var:language] is
   [code:libtree-{sitter}-[var:"language"].[var:ext]], where [var:ext]
   is the system-specific extension for dynamic libraries.

noting the recursive embedded syntax.  (and not knowing texinfo, I've
assumed that @{ and @} are escapes for the braces but could be something
else.)

Obviously, this would be a breaking change for any documents that
actually had anything along the lines of [xxx:...] in their text.

Just musing out loud. ;-) And procrastinating from preparing my lectures
for tomorrow... Feel free to ignore of course.

eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.5-851-ge9781f in Emacs 29.0.50