Re: Explicit page breaks

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Explicit page breaks
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 20:24:13 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> May we introduce a new standard macro {{{page-break(backend)}}}
> that will expand to an appropriate
> @@backend:<whatever is needed to mark new page in the given backend@@
> ?

The macro seems like a good idea. The only (minor) inconvenience that I
see, if I have understood it correctly, is in the case of LaTeX, where
there are several commands that do different things: \pagebreak,
\clearpage, \newpage, etc.

Since \pagebreak is a more low-level command (introduces a hard break),
it could be left as the default command \clearpage, which starts a new
page and ends the old one. I don't know...

By the way, in LaTeX there is also the opposite of \pagebreak:
\nopagebreak, with a mandatory level from 1 to 4. I see this type of
commands more useful for defining new LaTeX commands than for inserting
them directly into the document.

And, in any case, I think this page break topic is most useful
especially for odt, which only has a hard break (and also splits the
paragraph in two if added inside the paragraph). For LaTeX, after all,
putting things like @@latex:\pagrebreak[2]@@ doesn't involve much
verbosity.

Anyway, the opendocument schema is completely arcane to me. I have taken
a look at the Org Manual and it says that this snippet adds a page break
in odt export:

#+odt:<text:p text:style-name="PageBreak"/>

But I have tried:

foo

#+odt:<text:p text:style-name="PageBreak"/>

bar

and the document is not exported with the page break. I don't know if
I'm missing something. But as i said, XML is beyond me :-).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel