What is a "date tree"? (find manual unclear) [was: Re: Dates in headline

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: What is a "date tree"? (find manual unclear) [was: Re: Dates in headlines]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 12:04:32 +0200

Samuel Wales writes on Tue 28 Jun 2022 16:23:

 > [inactive timestamps] much better than date trees for my case.

Reading this, I tried to find out what a date tree is.

The manual says (in 10.1.3.1):

   A date tree is an outline structure with years on the highest
   level, months or ISO weeks as sublevels and then dates on the
   lowest level.

which I don't understand.  Could I be provided with a simple example
of a date tree?

Also, in the manual, the 'Main index' has the entry:

   * date tree: Using capture.

but, if I follow the link, I end up in 10.1.2, in a paragraph about
'M-x org-capture' and I don't see the relevance with date trees.

Regards.

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr