Update Org to MathJax 3

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Update Org to MathJax 3
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 15:36:54 +0200

Hello smart people!

With all the talk about Emacs 29, I figured we should update Org Mode to
use MathJax 3, to catch up with the rest of the world.

>From the documentation (for MathJax 3.0 released in 2019):

> Version 3.0 of MathJax is a complete rewrite of MathJax from the
> ground up, and its usage and configuration is significantly different
> from that of MathJax version 2.

In practice, MathJax 3.2 renders mathematics faster and better, plus it
significantly improves LaTeX support.  For instance, one can typeset
calculus with the built-in (!) 'physics' package, like in LaTeX.

More information on the recent progress (made in 2019-2021):

https://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/upgrading/whats-new-3.0.html
https://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/upgrading/whats-new-3.1.html
https://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/upgrading/whats-new-3.2.html

See the attached [working, but WIP] patch.

My question for you:

How do we change the 'org-html-mathjax-options'?

- 'scale' has now the value in [0, 1] and not in [0, 100]
- 'scale' should exist as a number and not string
- 'font' did not make it to MathJax 3 [*]
- 'linebreaks' did not make it to MathJax 3 [*]
- 'autonumber' has the values in lowercase now
- 'autonumber' became 'tags' in MathJax terminology

[*] coming in MathJax 4, currently in alpha

How does Org mode approach these kind of breaking changes?

Rudy

"Mathematics takes us still further from what is human into the region
of absolute necessity, to which not only the actual world, but every
possible world, must conform."
-- Bertrand Russell, 1902

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25