Re: [BUG] Re: 98e168b48 Add compatibility wrapper for string-clean-white

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [BUG] Re: 98e168b48 Add compatibility wrapper for string-clean-whitespace (Emacs 26 compatibility) [9.6-pre (release_9.5.5-920-g057193 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 01:41:50 -0400

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> I do recall Nicolas repeatedly voicing against usage of subr-x staff:
>
> https://orgmode.org/list/87wo4en8qk.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr
>
> However, he did not mention the reasoning behind this, except a single
> massage I was able to find:
>
> https://orgmode.org/list/8737t0b2c9.fsf@nicolasgoaziou.fr
>
> If supporting Emacs 24 is the only blocker for subr-x, it should be safe
> to use it.

Right, as far as I understand, support for Emacs 24.3 was the main
reason to avoid it; subr-x.el wasn't added until Emacs 24.4, when it was
renamed from helpers.el.  (There may be the general stylistic question
of whether to use when-let{,*} and friends, but that's not relevant in
this context.)

I've pushed 04d9d4b3d, but please feel free to adjust as needed if some
other reason to avoid loading subr-x surfaces.