Re: idea for capture anywhere in x

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:11:17 +0000

Jean Louis writes:

> Did you try to invoke Emacs without having Emacs in front of you? Once
> you try, come back and tell me how would you capture anything from X
> selection into Emacs without having Emacs window in front of you.
>
> I do not know how. My thinking stops right there.
>
> I have four workspaces, Emacs is not on each of them.
>
> How do I invoke Emacs without having it in front of me with just 1 key
> binding?

One solution is to let Emacs be your X window manager. I'm not saying
it's "the solution" to what's being discussed in this thread (sorry for
the noise), but in my case it is. With EXWM I don't need, for example,
anything like org-protocol. Even if I want to copy/cut/paste something
inside X, I have these three simultation keys defined in EXWM:

([?\C-y] . [?\C-v])
([?\C-w] . [?\C-x])
([?\M-w] . [?\C-c])

and I can use C-y, C-w or M-w in LibreOffice, Gimp or wherever.

One more example. If I'm in the external browser I normally use when I'm
not using eww (qutebrowser), I have a simple Org-capture template to
copy a url and create an Org heading with the link. I just hit yy on
qutebrowser and, without leaving there, call org-capture (C-c c). I have
another template to download images with org-download; another to create
a heading with the information extracted from google-scholar, etc. I
mean that using EXWM these problems don't exist, because, one way or
another, you're always in Emacs.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel